Welcome to this series of lectures on the Apostles’ Creed. The word “creed” does not sound very attractive today. Dogma, doctrine, creeds, confessions, and catechisms are not popular in this age of moral relativism. Yet, the first Christians deemed dogma important, for we read of the church after Pentecost: “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine” (Acts 2:42). When you hear the name “Apostles’ Creed,” you might ask, What is the Apostles’ Creed? You might even ask, What is a creed? The name “Apostles’ Creed” reminds us of the apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ. What an encouragement would it be for the church today if the apostles were still among us! But they have died long ago. However, we do have the Apostles’ Creed, a confession based upon the doctrine and the teachings of the apostles. We encourage you to watch or listen to these 13 lectures, and prayerfully look for these sacred statements of faith to become your daily confession in your Christian walk.
This first Article of the Apostles’ Creed confesses, “I believe in God the Father, almighty, maker of heaven and earth.”
2. Article 1: God the Father and Creation
3. Article 2: The Lord Jesus Christ
4. Article 3: The Conception and Virgin Birth of the Savior
5. Article 4: The Suffering of Christ
6. Article 5: The Resurrection of Christ
7. Article 6: The Exaltation of Christ
8. Article 7: Christ as the Judge of the Living and the Dead
9. Article 8: God the Holy Ghost
10. Article 9: The Universal Church of Christ
11. Article 10: The Forgiveness of Sins
12. Article 11: The Resurrection of the Body
13. Article 12: The Life Everlasting
Rev. Cornelis Harinck has been a pastor of the Reformed Congregations in the Netherlands since 1962.